What causes Lyme disease?
Lyme disease is caused by a type of bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi.
The number of infected persons in the Montérégie region is on the rise.
How is Lyme disease spread?
Lyme disease can be transmitted through the bite of an infected tick.
There are 2 types of ticks that spread Lyme disease in Canada:
- western blacklegged tick (British Columbia)
- blacklegged tick (other parts of Canada)
Ticks become infected with Lyme disease bacteria by feeding on infected wild animals, such as:
Once infected, ticks can spread the bacteria to humans and pets, particularly dogs. Ticks are very small and their bites are usually painless, so you may not know that you have been bitten.
Current evidence does not indicate that:
- people can spread Lyme disease to each other
- pets can spread the infection to humans
- however, pets can carry infected ticks into your home and your yard
Source : Health Canada