The land that is now Pincourt has been settled since the mid-18th century and was formerly part of the “Isle Perault” seigniory. The name “Pincourt” was first mentioned in a notarized land swap agreement dated March 5, 1776.
As far back as 1800, landowners began selling small lots along the Ottawa River to merchants and specialized tradespersons like weavers and blacksmiths. In the 19th century, economic activity intensified as a result of trade with the residents of nearby villages Vaudreuil and Dorion.
Around 1855, a small group of isolated houses sprang up following construction of a railroad. By the dawn of the 20th century, it grew into a village with the arrival of holiday makers, some of whom chose to settle there starting in the 1940s.
Created in 1949 after its separation from the Corporation municipale de l’île Perrot, the municipality of the village of Pincourt experienced strong demographic growth with the arrival of immigrant and English-speaking families. In 1960, under Mayor Val D’Ambrosio, Pincourt officially obtained town status.
Origin of the Name "Pincourt"
There are many different takes on the origin of the name “Pincourt.” The island’s first visitors and residents described its western part, which is now home to Pincourt, as a land of many short pine trees. At the time, people no doubt used that feature as an important landmark.
François-Marie Perrot and Antoine de Brucy were engaged in the fur trade and hired coureurs de bois. One of them, Paul Desroches, was nicknamed “Pincourt.” It is quite possible that the area was later named Pincourt in his honour.
*Source: Lise Chartier, Société d’histoire et de généalogie de l’île Perrot